Whitefield: Ladies Drama Group
The now established North Manchester Ladies Jewish Drama Group produced and staged an original play to a combined audience of over 515 women and girls, engaging ladies from both within the Whitefields community and beyond to be part of a project that intends to reduce social isolation and nurture creativity. Weeks of planning and rehearsals went into the endeavour, with Rebbetzen Gutentag writing a script that alluded to Jewish philosophical and historical ideas, while interweaving modern issues and humour. The production was brilliantly received.
To provide opportunities for women across the Manchester Jewish community to enjoy a sense of togetherness, develop new skills and form friendships; to bring creativity and dramatic vibrance to the community and the lives of the individuals taking part; to be able to stage productions on request.
Evaluation from Rebbetzen Debbie Guttentag:
“Ladies who would never normally meet one another within a community setting, worked, problem solved and laughed together over the three months, developing new and lasting friendships. Women from 10 to 65 took part in the show, which was a great generational bridge, some spending more time in Shul than they normally would in a year. They were engaged on every level, from the committee, to rehearsals, to painting sets, playing violin and piano. The electric atmosphere, packed room and diverse audience and cast members signaled real success.”
- I met many wonderful people and am truly privileged to have given women of all different backgrounds such a meaningful experience (Rachel Cohen – actress)
- As well as forging new friendships, I had the opportunity to play live music in a show for the first time, learning all the while from an experienced fellow musician
- It was brilliant to meet people from right across North Manchester and the religious spectrum, with everybody respecting each other and working well. The explicitly cross-communal nature of the event was a delight to behold.
- I love performing and relished the opportunity to take part in this charming play. I got to sing some lovely songs for an audience that showed us such wonderful appreciation.
- A good evening’s entertainment and a great way to bring the community together