Pinner & Norwich: Twinning Shabbat
The Pinner and Norwich communities were looking to fortify relations between their congregations after an initial successful Shabbat together in Norwich. A full Shabbat programme included jovial Shabbat meals – with their organisation split between the two communities – an insightful talk by the Norwich President’s daughter, having just visited the House of Lords as part of a Jewish Leadership programme, and an informative session on Tahara delivered by a Pinner member.
To build on our relationship with the Norwich community and to provide support; to encourage university students to become more involved in local communal life and the Shabbat experience; to give the Chevra Kaddisha support.
Evaluation from Leonie Lewis (United Synagogue Trustee & member of Pinner United):
“Pinner wanted to continue to strengthen its relationship with Norwich, whose new leadership are very keen to create a partnership, share challenges and forge a meaningful relationship. We had promised to follow up on their Tahara needs, which the weekend allowed us to do, as we spoke to the undertakers and shared the correct practice. A recent graduate from Pinner who accompanied us will follow up on the weekend by establishing contact with the University of East Anglia Jsoc President, who attended the Shabbaton.”
- Meeting the congregation in Norwich helped me understand the problems facing smaller communities, and how our support can help – Pinner member
- I came away having made some new friends, and with the knowledge that I had helped give. the Norwich community a minyan both throughout Shabbat and for Shacharit on Sunday – Pinner member
- Having joined the Pinner delegation previously, the opportunity to keep Shabbat within walking distance of a Shul and to swell the numbers of a small community simply could not be missed – Pinner member
- This Shabbat event confirms that events such as this help to keep the flame of the candles alight – Norwich member
- The whole weekend has left me more enthusiastic than ever. I would like to thank all who made it happen for an excellent time – Norwich member